Skip to main content

In order for a business–which includes individuals–to make a commercial use of the University’s name or any of its other marks, that business must obtain written permission through a formal contract with the University or a license through the University’s licensing agent, IMG College Licensing.

The University directs IMG to contract with a limited number of licensees in order to make licensed product bearing University marks available for retail sale to the public.

If you are interested in obtaining a retail license, please contact Collegiate Licensing Company.


All purchases of University-logoed merchandise must be made from University-licensed vendors. Orders for such merchandise must be approved by the University’s Trademarks and Licensing Office.


The term “logo” can refer to names, verbiage, graphic marks, symbols, landmarks or other protected assets associated with the University (brand sheet).


Manufacturers of University-logoed merchandise pay the University a royalty for use of UNC logos. Revenue generated from this program is used to provide financial aid to UNC students. Unless expressly communicated that merchandise will only be used for internal consumption (and not resale, e.g. a fundraiser), the licensed vendor will pay a royalty. The licensed vendor will build the royalties into the quoted price and coordinate the necessary payment.


Individuals who make any commercial use whatsoever of University marks, of images (photographic or otherwise) of campus scenes or individuals, or of University songs are subject to the applicable requirements in the Potential Licensees section of this website.


Any non-commercial organization which is neither part of, nor affiliated with, the University must obtain permission in advance and in writing to use University marks.

Exception: Organizations may use the University’s name as a geographical reference point as long as such use does not produce confusion as to whether that organization is in any way associated with the University.